Saturday 11 June 2016

Let the Games Begin!

I've been constantly looking for good new ways to create study aids and have time for review before testing.  I have read reviewing material before test can greatly improve retention for students.

I instruct a class of 16 students 6 hours a day for 7 week classes and here is what I have found so far.

6 HOURS IS TOO MUCH SCHOOL.lots of breaks and activities only goes to far. I have made time during the day for study groups or study strategies.  A chance for students to get up and leave and do their own thing.  Monitoring the productivity of this is my next step.

REVIEW GAMES ARE FUN FOR ADULTS.  Each week I divide the class into 4 groups of 4 and I have them make at least 5 flash cards each from the weeks material. I take the cards on thursday and make Flip quiz boards and actual board games to play for review on Friday.  Its a good way to have fun and pit the students against each other in competition.  Adults take their school too serously sometimes and games are a good way to lighten things up.

FLASH CARDS RULE!!!!  I have a ton of flash cards that my classes have made.  My current class is awesome and they all took a stack of cards to type into Quizlet.  Now all millwright students can have access to review flash cards on their smart phone or computer anywhere.  Look up Millwrights BCIT on quizlet to see what we have done.


More come on revamping my classroom setting.  (I bought a coffee urn :)

2 comments:

  1. Try Kahoot.... I have been using it with my apprentices and it has been Awesome!! Easy to use, 8 million free quizzes (some of unknown quality...). Our whole trades department has been using them profusely across all trades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joel! I will check it out. The students are really looking forward to fridays now, any way I can make it better I think is worth a try.

      Delete