Monday 4 July 2016

PREZI vs TEXTBOOKS vs MIND MAPS

A fellow instructor and I have worked tirelessly to develop a wide range of prezis to make the classroom discussions and presentations more engaging.  here is an example of one I made for a trade discovery class. The program is designed to introduce high school students interested in trades to jobs they may not understand.

Mr millwright face book page

When the students ask what is with the goat I tell them millwrights are baaaaaaad-ass.

I though it was funny.  usually I am the only one laughing too.


One of the major problems I had with the main textbook we use in our department is that it is linear.  By that I mean the pages are arranged in a row and sometimes in an effort to get through it students lose track of what they are learning about.  The text books are as deliberate as they can be about delivering the information but they are still just one page after the next to the students. Most of the feedback I have received when I ask about they are structured is that the chapters are organized by subject.  What a shame.  What I have tried to do is delineate the book into more of a  ind map so students can relate the current content to the subject-sub subject and topic.

here is an example of how the millwright manual is written

Bearings
-friction bearings
     -liners
     -housing
     -joints
     -lubrication
     -etc
-anti friction bearing
    -laods
    -types
    -housings
    -thrust
    -etc


the point I am tyring to make is in the linear way in which the text is presented

What I have tried to do with my prezi is create a structure so that students can be reminded of the way in which the text book is arranged.

mind mapping


This is the idea I have been going for. A fellow PIDPer framed it nicely.


this is what I have been working on to join the two ideas.  I hope it works out.


Bearings Prezi


Let me know what you think.  To me having a delineated structure to a presentation is a huge benefit of prezi over power point.

comment in the section below.  what do you think?




No comments:

Post a Comment