Sunday 20 March 2016

Why the name?




The Stubborn Nut


Why the name?


Believe it or not my name is actually Blair Patterson.  I am a Millwright turned College Instructor.  Throughout my life, education was always a source of frustration for me.  Whether the topic, delivery, or motivation, Going to school always seemed to be a drag.  After spending 5 years of high school staring out the window, with little aim or future goals, I did what i was supposed to.  I enrolled in university.  Then two weeks before my first class, I found the maturity to realize I was far too immature to attend a Post secondary school.  Instead I took a Millwright/Machinist foundation program.  A millwright Apprenticeship was what came up for me first so I joined the Millwrights union in BC and got to work.  I was a disaster when I started but gained confidence as I went, eventually earning a red seal in my trade.  

From there I traveled, worked in Pulp and Paper, research and development and the mining industry.  I now find myself in the position of teacher. A title I once loathed. Hoping that perhaps with the hard work ethic I have gained, that I can do better than those who came before me.....So Why the name? 

Many ex girlfriends would describe me as stubborn, Which I believe in my trade is a strength.  When faced with challenging situations having the stubbornness to not give up.  Every Millwright has been there.  The job is going south, and what you started out tapping with a soft face hammer now has a 50 ton hydraulic ram attached to it, there are 2 torches heating it up, and your're now spitting on it (not to see hot it is, but in resentment and disgust).  It takes a certain competitive mindset To be a Millwright.  I certainly didn't have it when I started.  

Many Ex girlfriends would also describe me as nuts.......

So there you have it.


1 comment: